Two PostDoctoral Positions
We are looking for two scholars for full-time post-doctoral positions (TV-L E 13), from May 2020 to March 2024.
Applicants should be interested in addressing theoretical questions and able to relate them to historical developments. Both PostDocs will each work both on a research project of their own choice that relates directly to the centre’s overarching research programme and the Multiple Secularities approach, as well as contribute to the further development of this approach itself. Thus, all applicants should fulfil the following requirements:
- research experience on questions of secularity, secularisation and secularism;
- empirical research experience (historical or contemporary) in one of the following regions: the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, or Israel
Fellowships for Senior Researchers
We are looking for Senior Research Fellows from April 2020 onwards.
Based on the hypothesis that drawing boundaries between the religious and the non-religious is neither an exclusive sign of modernity nor the ‘West’, we have already explored corresponding emic taxonomies, forms of institutional differentiation and modes of demarcation in different eras and areas especially in the Islamicate World and several regions in Central, East, South and Southeast Asia. In the second funding phase, starting in 2020, we will regionally focus on the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Israel. Thus, also the fellows’ projects shall deal with one of these regions. Systematically, we especially want to shed light on the following aspects:
- path dependencies and probabilities, global entanglements, cultural encounters and processes of cultural transfer and translation
- processes of both religionisation and secularisation as well as of culturalisation and heritagisation
- the heterogeneity of ‘Western’ secularities
- the development and use of symbolic binaries and the relation between epistemic and social structures
- materiality of the religious and the secular and markers of secularity.
Fellowships will be awarded for periods between 6 and 12 months, in exceptional cases shorter stays (at least 2 months) will be possible as well. The scholarship amount depends on the scholar’s status.
Two Student Assistants
We are looking for 2 student assistants (15hrs/week) starting 1 April 2020 to support our coordination team.