Call: Project Assistant
The Centre for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences „Multiple Secularities – Beyond the West, Beyond Modernities“ is an international research unit (KFG) at the Leipzig Research Centre Global Dynamics (ReCentGlobe) at Leipzig University, funded by the German Research Council (DFG). We are looking for a project assistant (50% of full time employment, TV-L E 6), starting as soon as possible until 31 March 2024. The call for applications is subject to the availability of funds.
Tasks und responsibilities:
- Support of the coordination team, in particular the administrative coordinator
- Foreign language correspondence and word processing, preparation of presentation documents and taking minutes, answering calls and e-mails, providing information (working languages of the KFG are German and English)
- Appointment and filing management
- Management of rooms, technology and supplies including procurement and inventory
- Support of the international fellows and staff in general administrative procedures
- Support in the maintenance of the homepage of KFG and the virtual research environment in English
- Planning, organisation and preliminary examination of the accounting of (foreign) business trips and guest residencies
- Support in accounting and control of the financial outflow
- Support with personnel-related processes, e.g. tendering and recruitment procedures, filling in applications, keeping lists of absences.
- Completed training as a management assistant in office communication or comparable professional qualification
- Confident handling of the German and English language, experience abroad and practical knowledge of another modern foreign language would be an advantage
- Relevant professional experience, preferably in an international context or in the civil service
- Very good knowledge and secure handling in the application of the common Office programs and IT systems
- Basic knowledge of budget and human resources management
- Independent, reliable and structured working approach
- Very good organisational skills, ability to work in a team.
Please send your application with the usual documents, quoting the reference number 80/2020, by April 24 2020:
Leipzig Research Centre Global Dynamics (ReCentGlobe)
Prof. Dr. Christoph Kleine
An application by e-mail is questionable in terms of data protection. The sender shall bear the full responsibility. Severely disabled persons are invited to apply and will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
Fellowships for Senior Researchers
We are looking for Senior Research Fellows from April 2020 onwards.
Based on the hypothesis that drawing boundaries between the religious and the non-religious is neither an exclusive sign of modernity nor the ‘West’, we have already explored corresponding emic taxonomies, forms of institutional differentiation and modes of demarcation in different eras and areas especially in the Islamicate World and several regions in Central, East, South and Southeast Asia. In the second funding phase, starting in 2020, we will regionally focus on the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Israel. Thus, also the fellows’ projects shall deal with one of these regions. Systematically, we especially want to shed light on the following aspects:
- path dependencies and probabilities, global entanglements, cultural encounters and processes of cultural transfer and translation
- processes of both religionisation and secularisation as well as of culturalisation and heritagisation
- the heterogeneity of ‘Western’ secularities
- the development and use of symbolic binaries and the relation between epistemic and social structures
- materiality of the religious and the secular and markers of secularity.
Fellowships will be awarded for periods between 6 and 12 months, in exceptional cases shorter stays (at least 2 months) will be possible as well. The scholarship amount depends on the scholar’s status.